Monday, December 14, 2009

Day +81 (Good news so far ...)

Hunter's skin biopsy last Thursday went very smoothly. The procedure was quick even though he underwent anesthesia. Hunter did a great job of remaining calm when he entered the room. Thankfully, we were able to stay with him as they put him under. Apparently, Hunter woke up trying to go about the business he was attending to prior to the anesthetic, not realizing he was drastically impaired. We were in the waiting room, a sliding glass door away, when Hunter came to and heard the nurse say, "My, he wakes up quickly." We went in the room to find him bouncing off the rails of the operating table like a TKO'd prize fighter. Hunter's immediate concerns were the location of his security blanket and 'soon to be ex' pacifier. He slowed down some once he had his "lamby". Hunter was then able to sit on my lap and eat a few crackers and punish an apple juice. It was after lunch and he hadn't had anything to eat or drink since dinner the night before. The good news is we didn't have to wait long for the results of the biopsy. One of Hunter's nurses called the next day to let us know there are currently no signs of GVHD in his skin tissue, one step closer to home.
Today Hunter was examined by an ophthamologist. I have to admit I thought it was going to be difficult for Hunter to maintain his composure while having his eyes examined. However, I was pleasantly surprised by Hunter's willingness to hold still and allow the doctor to shine lights and put magnifying glasses in front of his eyes. Also, as a proud parent, I think the doctor was a little impressed Hunter was able to read the letters and numbers on the wall, even with one eye closed. Anyway, it appears Hunter received another good report. The ophthamologist said, "his eye surface is moist, his tear ducts are shaped properly and there are no cataracts." He told us Hunter remains at risk, about twelve percent, of developing cataracts within the first three years after undergoing chemotherapy. That risk lessens over the course of the fourth and fifth years. Hunter will fall back into the mainstream population after five years time. Until then he will have ophthamology visits annually or when deemed necessary by any unusual circumstances.
We are holding our breath for tomorrow's dental exam and the results of last Thursday's extensive blood work. If you read this post before then please say a prayer for Hunter or send him some positive thoughts. We are extremely anxious to reunite our family. Thank you all for your constant and unconditional support. It helps us hold on to our sanity.
P.S. I had to include this picture of Hunter baking a cake for his dad's milestone birthday yesterday!


  1. Hi guys! I'm so glad to hear that Hunters visits and results are coming back so well :) That is awesome!
    We think of you often and pray for all the best...2010 is going to be great!!!

  2. I crossed my fingers, waiting impatiently for the dental exam...