Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Waiting back in Los Angeles ...

We flew back to Los Angeles yesterday after speaking with the BMT team at the Hutch. Under the circumstances, we are happy to be home and reunited with our daughter, Harper. Here are the two most recent emails we received from them explaining the situation ...

First email:

"The donor we requested for product donation was HLA typed in a reputable laboratory, and was a 10/10 match with Hunter. However, the donor, as part of our protocol requirements, provided a fresh blood sample to our laboratory for HLA confirmatory typing to be completed. On Friday, I received an email message from our laboratory informing me that the confirmatory typing for Hunter's donor identified a discrepant typing result with the outside laboratory typing results, for the HLA-DQB1 loci (thus, one antigen mismatch with Hunter). I immediately telephoned our laboratory and had a conversation with our HLA specialist, who assured me that they will be typing this loci again, but felt confident their results were accurate. This is a very unexpected result. The donor's HLA-DQB1 in relationship with the donor's HLA-DRB1 is not even normally seen together."

"The good news is there are more donors that are a 10/10 match with Hunter. I spoke with the registry late on Friday afternoon, and we are moving forward with the donor processes with another excellent donor. This will cause a delay in the transplant date. We are hoping the delay this donor switch causes will not be too terribly long. As soon as we have word from the donor center, I will let you and your family know."

Second email:

"I already have good news. The donor center successfully contacted the new donor by phone. The donor is very excited to plan on moving forward with our donation request. This donor is a 19 year old female, 10/10 HLA match, same ABO Rh and CMV status of Hunter. We are requesting a bone marrow harvest/product transport date (for infusion the same day) of 3-Sept-2009."

If this donor is truly a match we could possibly be headed back to Seattle in a couple of weeks. Our fingers are crossed. Meanwhile, we will try to rejuvenate and enjoy our time with family and friends.


  1. Dear Patrick and Rhea,
    I am so very sorry for all you have gone through - my heart goes out to you and of course little Hunter. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.
    I am happy there appears to be a match after all. I am optimistic this second candidate will work out! After all, I know Septemebr 3rd is a lucky day - it's my birthday :-) I will be thinking of Hunter...
    My best and hugs to all of you,

  2. I'm sorry for the delay, but it's good things there is another donor.. Have a great time with Harper and

    gpa and gma Taylor.

    much love from me

  3. So happy to hear that another donor has been found. Thinking of you.

  4. i am very positive that is going to work out with Hunter now,we will keep praying. Dont worry God has always a way,He will guide Hunter through.Keep the faith.